Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thoughts on being a housewife . . .


I am typically a very very busy person - almost to the point of being so busy that it isn't really healthy to my relationships. I work a full time job, I work a part-time job, I run Special Olympics for my county (another part time volunteer position), and I am currently pursuing my master's degree. So obviously I do have alot of extra time in my schedule to be a wife . . . This sounds weird but it is sadly true.
So over the past three weeks here in PA, I am obviously not working my full time job, I am not working my part time job, and I have not been running Special Olympics (with the exeption of some odd email here and there for my Bball teams). And although my husband is at boot camp, my mom is currently - hmmm . . . how to phrase it . . . on hiatus by doctors orders when it comes to cooking, cleaning, and running errands. So, my life has very suddenly changed to that of a housewife (despite the fact that I am still doing masters program work). I know that many many people are very happy being a housewife, but it is just not my cup of tea. I have compiled my personal pro/con list of this lifestyle. Could I ever get used to it . . . maybe - but probably not.

Pros:
1) TLC, Food Network, and HGTV: I officially LOVE these three channels and do not know how I would get through a day without them. Cake Boss, Say Yes to the Dress, Challenge, Property Virgins . . . the list goes on and on! These shows get me through the laundry folding and vaccuming and have become my personal friends. I am really going to miss them when I go back to work and I have to say that I am glad we have a TV that can record shows (I just don't know how to use it).
2) Starbucks: Running errands is SO MUCH more enjoyable with a good latte in hand. Thankfully, there is now a Starbucks in Shrewsbury, which happens to be where the Walmart, pet store, and grocery store are located. It is also close to the church AND the YMCA where I run Nikole for many activities! How perfect!


3) I am really struggling to come up with a third number - I feel that I should have a third, but I just don't.


Cons:
1) Cooking: I am a TERRIBLE cook - I am not joking you to say that I really am bad at it. I feel so bad that my father has had to go from my mom's cooking to my cooking - that is really sad! John cooks at our house thankfully, but that does not help my dad out at all. Thank goodness for Mignano Brothers - the super tasty pizza shop right down the road.

2) Cleaning: I HATE cleaning and I don't think I am really good at that either. I mean I can clean - but I don't know what to use for what. I used a swiffer duster today to clean the wooden floors in the living room -- I mean it doesn't seem like I should have used that but I really don't know what else to use!!! At home in NC, I had to hire a housecleaner for a couple of months JUST so I could learn what materials clean what - oh that is so so sad.


3) Grocery Shopping: WAY too many options at these grocery stores. Like, I just want chicken - there are too many chicken parts, fresh or frozen, and 3 brands of each of these! I just stand there staring at the chicken for like 10 minutes until I get so frustrated that I don't even buy any. I know this sounds NOT normal - and I acknowledge that it is not normal - but it is really what happens to me. That is why at home I shop at ALDI! I love that store because there is only ONE brand of everything - it is perfect for me:)
I am sure there are other things to being a housewife - but I don't even know about them. The only think I think I am good at doing is laundry. So, at least my mom, dad, Nikole, and I will have clean clothes.

All in all, I think I am really good at my full-time and part-time job. I am good at my part-time volunteer position and I am good at what I do in school. But, sadly, I am just not at being a housewife. Sorry John:)

No comments:

Post a Comment